Acne Scar Treatment
Acne can influence the way that people feel about themselves and can keep people from doing the things that they want to. Successful treatment of acne can greatly improve self esteem and confidence. Some of the treatment options we commonly us are:
- Oral Antibiotics - When appropriate, they help decrease the number or bacteria infecting the pores. They also reduce inflammation to decrease the red bumps and pustules.
- Spironolactone - This medication works by blocking the hormones that promote acne (androgens). It is particularly helpful in adult females with acne
- Birth Control Pills – They work by helping to regulate hormone levels to improve acne
- Accutane (Isotretinoin) - Used for individuals with severe acne, scarring, or those who haven’t improved with standard treatments. A course of treatment usually takes 5-6 months. Accutane is very effective in treating severe and resistant acne and is one of the only treatments that offer long term clearance of acne. Our providers are happy to answer questions about Accutane and help you safely achieve clear skin.
- Retinoids- These work by increasing exfoliation of dead skin cells, preventing the plugging of pores
- Benzoyl Peroxide- Mainly helps by decreasing the number of bacteria on the skin and has a mild effect to unplug pores and decrease inflammation.
- Topical Antibiotics- Help by decreasing the number of bacteria on the skin and also by decreasing inflammation
- Injections - A small amount of cortisone like medication can be injected into larger inflammatory acne lesions. This helps reduce the inflammation in the area and rapidly shrinks the lesion
- Comedone extraction – Using a sterile technique, the contents of small blackheads and whiteheads can be removed to reduce the number of acne spots and clear your skin quicker
- Chemical Peels – we offer a low cost medical grade chemical peel that can help to open clogged pores and allow topical medications to work more effectively. Our proprietary peel provides excellent results with minimal downtime allowing you to go right back to work or school.
Acne treatment options can vary significantly from patient to patient depending on the type and severity of the acne. Most often, more than one treatment option is needed. If you have questions regarding your acne, please call Treasure Valley Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center to schedule an appointment with one of our providers. They will be happy to create an individualized treatment plan for your acne.
VIEW PHOTO GALLERY